Saturday 24 January 2015

British Dressage 21st January

On Wednesday 21st January we ventured to Quainton Stud for our first day out competing in 2015, the weather was forecast to be the worst this winter but luckily for us the snow held off and it was just very grey and bitterly cold instead!
 
We had the luxury of slightly later times so we got ready without too much of a rush. Toy warmed up well and felt ok, not brilliant or awful, just ok. I tried to remember all the things Ann Bostock had said to me in lessons about creating impulsion and then containing it and I used lots of transitions and lateral work.
 
Our performance in Novice 37 was a bit like my plaiting skills, rusty and out of practice. However, our schooling over the winter has defiantly helped and Toy concentrated and listened to me throughout. Toy was tense and against my hand for a lot of the movements and tight over has back especially in the trot work. We wavered on the lines across the short diagonals in the give and retake the reins and annoyingly the old habit of stepping to the right with his hind end returned in the halt. I finished knowing that it was not our best test, I predicted a low 60% mark and I was right...62.5%.
 
I didn't have long between tests so I stayed on board and went back into the warm up, he unfortunately produced his best medium trots of the day in that second warm up session but at least I know they are achievable!
 
I went into Elementary 40 with a little "Whoop!" that I was even entering the arena to ride an Elementary test, not a big deal for some people but it felt like a huge achievement for me and Toy. We both relaxed more and although he still hollowed in some movements the overall performance was better. His quarters were in for a lot of the canter work and again he stepped side ways in the first halt. We need to show more difference in the medium steps but the counter canter has defiantly improved. There were moments where he felt as good as he does schooling at home and I was amazed when I saw the scores...67.7% and we had won the restricted section!
 
With hindsight I had put a lot of pressure on myself as it was our first outing of the year, we had entered our first Elementary test and Toy has been schooling brilliantly. What I should have done is relaxed, remembered that it was freezing cold so he was bound to be tight over his back and that we both need to practice our " performance".
 
Watching the videos back I may have been a little harsh on myself, the Novice test in particular felt awful to ride but it goes down in the book as test practice and that is what we need. I have made a mental note to sit up straighter and roll my shoulders back and I need to bend my elbows more and carry my hands...the same old bad habits that have haunted me for years! We will keep practicing!
 

 
 
 

2 comments:

  1. Really useful reflections Frannie. Some good double loop learning going on :-) x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Fran your blog is Haynet's Blog of the Day today! Come and take a look: http://www.hay-net.co.uk/haynet-news/7751/equestrian-blog-of-the-day---fran-wooolman-eventing

    ReplyDelete