Friday 13 February 2015

Jump Lesson 10th February

On Tuesday I had a jump lesson with my trainer, David Britnell. I had not jumped Toy for a few weeks because of the weather and lack of time so I was not quite sure what would happen!
 
David set out a number of jumps around the arena, keeping them small to start with just linking them together into a course, they included a few uprights with cones and barrels as filler, a plank and a bounce. I was pleasantly surprised with Toy, he was keen and forward going and had not forgotten what to do! I had also clearly benefited from the break as I had no nerves and was able to sit up, keep my leg on and wait for the fence to come to me.
 
Please excuse my awful drawing below but it gives you a rough idea of the courses we were making up, jumping off which ever stride, encouraging Toy to think for himself and taking the pressure off me so I didn't get anxious if we got to close or he chipped in a small stride at the last moment.
 
 
 
I have had in the past a few bad habits, especially show jumping, which have all stemmed from my nerves. I have an awful habit of trying to take off before Toy, ending up with my weight on his shoulders and making his life incredibly difficult. My other habit is to drop the contact in the last stride before the fence, leaving him wondering what on earth is happening. Fingers crossed I am on my way to kicking those nerves and hopefully I will be able to enjoy the show jumping this year, rather than wishing it was all over.
 
Unfortunately there are no videos or photos from the lesson - I will try and ask an unsuspecting passer by next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment