Wednesday 25 March 2015

Swalcliffe BE100 21st March

Last week around work I spent my time preparing for Swalcliffe ODE, we had a brilliant time XC schooling on Tuesday and I had a fantastic dressage lesson on Friday with Ann. I felt well prepared and we set off in the lorry on Saturday morning with Tracey and her new horse, Twist.
 
On our way there, luckily we had pulled in to fill up with diesel and we were not on the road but the clutch broke! Our knight in shining armour Eddie the mechanic came to our rescue and after only half an hour delay we were back on our way! Who ever said unnecessary stress wasn't good for you...Tracey and I had been busy planning how to get the horses home!
 
As soon as we arrived I left Toy on the lorry with my Mum and Dad keeping a watchful eye on him and jogged round the XC course. I should have perhaps in the past taken more notice of BE100 courses as it looked quite big and there were a few technical lines. However, I felt like I had prepared for the step up and was actually pleased it would be a true test of our ability.
 
Warming up for the dressage I tried to remember everything from my lesson the day before and worked Toy quite hard....leg yield, shoulder in, simple changes, our newly developing half pass and before I knew it we were off down the centre line. I haven't had chance to school on grass over the winter and Toy struggled with his balance, particularly on the downwards transitions. I later found out we had scored 29.5 and I was over the moon!

 
We warmed up for the show jumping, knowing it is my weakest phase but with the knowledge that we had jumped well a few weeks before at Aston Le Walls. We started well over fences 1 and 2...3 and 4 were a bit sticky and I think I just took my leg off. The double at 5 he got a bit close to the first element and then knocked a pole on the second part but he didn't shoot off like he can do at home when he knocks them so I was pleased. We re-grouped well for fences 6 and 7 and the at fence 8 he stopped and I fell off! It was a bit of a shock as one minute we were jumping quite nicely and the next I was on the floor, unscathed but stuck between the poles and wings because of all the flowers! The very nice arena helper gave me a leg up and we jumped it the second time. Fence 9 was fine and then at fence 10 Toy decided to stop/spook and off I came again! I think I was feeling a bit defeatist by that point and watching the video back I could probably have stayed on but I really didn't think he would do it again.


So 2 falls in as many minutes meant I had to chat to the medic and was not allowed to go XC. Very annoying but probably for the best as I would not have set out in the right frame of mind. Even more annoyingly for me I know that about 99% of my riding is in my head and my confidence is easily knocked. I have spent the last 2 days reflecting on the falls ranging from "I'm never going to try a BE100 again" to "For gods sake just get on with it".
 
What I have tried to remember is that eventing is my hobby, I do it because I love it and for no-one else's benefit but my own. I should enjoy it and if it isn't enjoyable then there is no point putting myself under all that pressure. I want to achieve the most I can with Toy....as long as we are still having fun along the way.
 
Unfortunately I cannot get the day off work for Ascott Under Wychwood so we will have to wait until the 29th April for the new event at Whitfield. In the mean time we are going on a Sponsored Ride and may take a late entry into the unaffiliated ODE at Aston Le Walls.....just a few things to keep us busy!

***Since writing this blog I have had an "emergency" jump lesson and came out of it wondering why I had not ridden like that at Swalcliffe...as Charlie Unwin would say I am filling my mind with good positive memories and have my confidence back!***
 
 

2 comments:

  1. Debbie Summerfield26 March 2015 at 01:29

    Bless, he gets upset when you 'dismount'! After a couple of sticky jumps you probably allowed some negative thoughts in and he picked up on it and just lost confidence. Possibly a bit ambitious to start the season with an upgrade in level. Go and have a couple of runs at 90 and get your va va voom back. Practice SJ 105/110 at home and at SJ comps then, when you feel confident, go back out at 100 - the SJ will seem easy after 105. Impressed with your tidy dismounts though - I always crash and burn and don't get up again if I come off lol. :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice reflections Frannie and some good advice from Debs. Dad will be pleased his video has made the grade :) xx

    ReplyDelete