Friday 19 June 2015

Boredom busting

With Toy on box rest I have been granted a gift I am not used to, the gift of time. I have been left wondering what on earth non-horsey people do with their days off and boredom has reared its ugly head.
 
I have been out for lunch, cleaned the house, cleaned the car, walked the dog, read a book, been for a run, drunk buckets of tea and still I feel like there is a huge hole in my life. I have been back on a horse, after 4 weeks without my bum hitting a saddle, I have hacked a lovely mare from our yard. Not only has it been good for my muscles but its also proved invaluable for my soul.
 
 
I spent last Saturday at Quainton Stud, dressage writing for the combined training. The tests ranged from Intro - Novice and it was very interesting to listen to the judges opinions. I have a new found respect for judges at the lower levels, the difference in the ponies and horses and the huge variation in riding made the whole thing a complete muddle in my mind. I have some more dates throughout the year dressage writing at Bury Farm, including the PetPlan Area festival and the High Profile Show so there is that to look forward too.
 
My Mum and I went to Summerhouse Equestrian Centre on Tuesday and had a lesson each on dressage schoolmasters. My horse, Larry was trained to Advanced and was described as a flying change machine. He was slightly smaller than the horses I have ridden recently but it felt brilliant to ride canter and trot half pass and flying changes on an established horse. I couldn't stop grinning after each change, he made them feel so easy! I would recommend one of these lessons to anyone, if you are feeling a bit uninspired or want to practice movements your own horse is still learning. I was a bit hot and bothered afterwards but it was well worth it. There are a few videos on my Facebook page - Fran Woolman Eventing & Dressage.
 
Toy seems to be settled into his new routine, the yard is busy enough to keep him amused in the day and blissfully quiet overnight so he seems very happy. Unfortunately he is the messiest horse I have ever met in the stable, it normally resembles a pig sty in the mornings and I am fighting a battle to try and keep him clean!
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment