Wednesday 12 August 2015

My box rest top tips!

If, like me, you are lucky enough to have always had fit and healthy horses then the idea of box rest will be a daunting task. Nursing a horse through injury and rehab is tough so I have compiled a few hints, tips and pearls of wisdom that I have learnt over the last few weeks.
 
Routine
I am a ridiculously organised person, my diary is open on the table every evening so that I can plan the next day, I sit down with my other half on a Sunday and talk through the coming week, discussing what we are doing and when. I, personally, think this has been the biggest help with Toy and the main reason he has been so adaptable and settled.
Mornings start at about 8am and evenings between 5-6pm. In the morning he gets his feed in his stable and is left to eat it undisturbed - something I have always done as I think horses should be left to eat in peace. When he has finished he gets tied up outside his stable with a handful of hay or a grass block. These handy treats keep him occupied for just long enough and are low in calories so perfect for a box resting horse.
Then I muck out, sort his hay and water, groom and pick his feet out, walk him out in-hand and then he goes back in his stable. Once he is in his stable I leave him alone, that's his safe place, somewhere I wont poke and prod him and where he spends time on his own.
In the evening he has the same routine but is fed last thing and then he knows he is all done and its bedtime. I'm not suggesting this is the best way to do things but it suits me and I do think that some sort of routine does make life easier for your horse.
 
Trusting your team
I am very self-sufficient and fearlessly independent. I hate relying on any one to help me but I have realised that I cannot do everything for Toy on my own.
My biggest piece of advice would be to find a team you trust. Find a friend that can help with the day to day care when you are at work or just to give you a break. Find a vet, farrier, physio, dentist and saddler that understand your worries and that can help you.
I trusted my gut instinct and changed farrier after Toys injury was diagnosed. I justified my decision to our yard owner, to my old farrier and to my friends but lets be honest - its none of their business. It was without a doubt the best decision I have made. I don't think my old farrier made any mistakes but I just didn't feel like he was as committed to the cause as I am. My new farrier is a perfectionist and I really feel like he is determined to help me with the challenge of getting Toy sound again.
 
Politely decline peoples advice
When your horse is injured, everyone will try to give you advice. Even if their horse has never had that particular injury or they have never experienced anything like what you are going through.
Learn to politely decline, listen and decide if their advice suits you. Choose the treatment you believe in and feel most confident about. I have chosen to follow the vets advice to the letter. I am box resting when others would have turned out in the field, I am giving the tendon time to heal when others would have gone for treatments. What ever you chose to do, believe in it and give it 100% but don't let others sway your gut instinct.
 
Use your free time
I have attended more demos, watched more people ride, volunteered at events, been dressage writing and learnt more than ever before. I feel like my horsemanship skills have drastically improved, watching Richard Maxwell load a horse on our yard a few weeks ago was just mesmerising and such a privilege. It is so easy to forget about horsemanship when you are focused on riding all the time. I have certainly learnt more from the ground than I ever thought possible.

I have taken an opportunity at work to go on a course, something that I just would not have done if Toy was competing. I would not have time to do both well but because he is off games I have grabbed the chance.

Prepare for every eventuality
A lot of people have said to me that Toy will be back eventing and that the prognosis is good. I am being pragmatic, the prognosis is not good and I have to be prepared to make some of the toughest decisions.

Think about all the options, however hard they might be. I have not discussed my decisions with others as I want to be clear in my own mind what I will do. These are questions I may never get asked but at least if the time comes then I am prepared.

Enjoy your horse
Last but not least, I have learnt that I am incredibly privileged to have my own horse. Yes, I work hard to pay for him and work hard to be the best rider I can be but hundreds of people want to be able to ride and for one reason or another they can't.

I am bitter about not being able to ride, there is no denying it but I am trying to be positive everyday.




No comments:

Post a Comment